Good morning, everybody; today is International Self Care Day, which was established in 2011 by the UK’s IFS. I’m here with your Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Daily, filled with all the things you need to know about what’s going on in town. Let’s do this.
City Park Rangers made a sad discovery Saturday morning around 9 a.m. Also, 81 firefighters responded to a blaze. Finally, grocery store pharmacy workers might be going on strike.
First, today’s weather:
Clouds giving way to sun. High: 83 Low: 62.
FYI: To locate a cooling center in Los Angeles, call 3-1-1, reach out to the Los Angeles Public Library Public Information Office at (213) 228-7555, or find your nearest location and its hours on the current list of county facilities.
🚗 Three Of The Cheapest Gas Stations In Los Angeles 🚗
💻 Back To School Poll!
The kids are going back to school soon. Should schools still take COVID precautions? Please let me know your thoughts! As of right now, 20.7% say the kids should just go back to school, 48.3% say that kids should wear masks, 27.6% want there to be distancing and sanitizing, while 3.4% prefer distance learning for the kids.
Here are the top five stories today in Los Angeles:
- L.A. City Park Rangers found a dead body Saturday morning at 2899 East Observatory Road in heavy brush. The Griffith Park location is now under investigation. There is no information yet how the individual died. (Patch)
- In the meantime, the LAFD responded to a one-story commercial building fire on Saturday morning at 1112 South Main Street. It took 81 firefighters about 22 minutes to get the blaze under control and extinguish the fire. “There were four distinct occupancies in the building. The fire burned all the contents on the first floor and then made its way into the attic,” according to a spokesperson. There were no injuries. (LA Daily News/paywall)
- Los Angeles’ pharmacy workers “at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons and Pavilions stores” may be going on strike. We learned Friday that they took a strike vote. At this time, an actual date for the strike has not been announced and labor negotiations continue. (Patch)
- The California Market Center at the intersection of 9th and Main streets is going to be the new home for Forever 21. We learned on Saturday that the two office floors “will house Forever 21’s brand headquarters, as well as West Coast-based employees for Lucky Brand.” The building recently underwent extensive renovations. (Urbanize LA)
- Shrek raves are back, and the first one happened on Thursday at 1720. It’s just what it sounds like, Shrek-themed “drinks, merchandise tables, a photo booth and an area to get tattoos and tooth gems.” Oh, yes, and there are “Shrek characters twerking on stage.” Keep your eyes peeled for the next one! (NBC)
Today in Los Angeles:
- Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade Unity March starts at 3939 South Figueroa Street (8 a.m.)
- Klarna Oasis Pop-Up Shop at 8070 Melrose Ave (10 a.m.)
- The Skirball Cultural Center presents Las Colibrí (11 a.m.)
- Rosie Bunny Bean Mobile Pet Adoption offering Bunny, Guinea Pig And Hamster Adoptions (noon)
- VII Annual Peru Village Festival, A Taste Of Peru at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre International (2 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- A North Westdale – East neighbor needs a seamstress to make some Selena costumes! Anyone has recommendations? (Nextdoor)
- North Hollywood LAPD will host an Open House today from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. with station tours, K-9 officers, specialized units and more! FREE hot dog, chips and drinks. (Nextdoor)
- A neighbor in the Vermont Vista Central area heard this bird sound in the backyard. A juvenile American kestrel!!! 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾 (Nextdoor)
- Our West LA-Bundy/Idaho neighbor noticed the beautification of West LA continues! This is at the Staples on Olympic and Bundy. Does anyone know if this mural was thanks to a grant from the Eli Broad foundation, or possibly from the Getty? (Nextdoor)
- A Silver Lake Waverly Terrace neighbor has an automatic garage door that needs to be fixed. Can anyone recommend a fair and reasonable repair person? (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Torrance Antique Street Faire (July 24)
- Estate Planning for Your Loved Ones – Webinar (July 27)
- [Free Masterclass] Increase Your Website Sales & Leads Using SEO (August 6)
- Add your event
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Sunday! I’ll see you soon.
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Los Angeles Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org